Monday, July 7, 2014

Preaching in Paradise

From the letter to the President:

This week was wonderful! I was just transferred to Santa Paula! We have already been seeing so many miracles! Every single day is a blessing! I absolutely love training Hermana Newland. She is a really hard worker so we get along wonderfully!

This past week we had the opportunity to teach some great lessons.  On Tuesday we were able to have a lesson with a recent convert and her nonmember siblings. This recent convert is named D. She is the oldest of 5 children. She is 19 and was baptized a couple months ago. She already has such a strong testimony of the gospel. We have mainly been focusing on D's younger sister B.  B and D came to church yesterday. They both enjoyed church.  We are excited to continue working with B. 

This week we also taught a boy named J. We were out walking and turned down a completely empty street. Halfway down the road we wondered if we should turn back. We decided to keep walking. That's when we found J. He was really intent on listening to us. He told us that he wanted something better from his life. He told us about some of the problems that he has had in the past, but that he truly has a desire to change. We were able to have a really great lesson with him. It was such a tender mercy that we were able to find Jonathon. I am always amazed to see the hand of the Lord in this work. It truly was miraculous!

We are working with a young boy named S. He is 11 years old and preparing for baptism. His mother is a member but his father is not. His mom wants S to be baptized but they have not been to church in a long time. S has a sincere desire to follow Christ. We are trying to work to get S and the family to church. We were able to teach S about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was so fun to teach him!

We were able to have a wonderful lesson with a man named L. He came to church last week. He said that he was praying to know which church to join. He loves what we have to share. He has great faith in Jesus Christ and a desire to follow him. We were able to read with L from the Book of Mormon. He told us that he really likes the way our church is organized. The way he was talking it almost sounded like he was already a member of our church. We are excited to continue working with him and prepare him for baptism. He has a baptismal date of July 26th.

Yesterday we were able to have a great lesson with our investigator S. He was at church yesterday and he brought his 3 year old grandson. He really enjoyed our church and loved meeting the members. S loves listening to our message. We were able to teach him more about the Book of Mormon yesterday. We invited him to read it and he said that he would. S also has a desire to do what it right. We are going to continue working with him and set him with a baptismal date. 

We were able to meet with a number of less-actives last week. We had some great lessons with them. We were able to meet with an older gentleman, G. He knows that the church is true. He told us that all his life he has felt forced into going to church and that he does not want to feel that way. We were able to talk about Christ's love. I showed him a picture of Christ knocking on a door. On Christ's side of the door, there is no doorknob. We talked about how Christ is always there knocking at the door, just waiting for us to open it. He really enjoyed our lesson. I am excited to help this man come back to church. 

We also met with a less-active named A. We were able to share a scripture about charity. We talked about examples of charity, with Christ being the ultimate example. The Spirit was able to speak through us and touch her heart. 

The most humbling thing about being a missionary is having the Spirit work through me. I realize that when I teach with the spirit, not only is the investigator learning, but I am also being edified. I love being an instrument in the Lord's hands!

I am so excited to be able to work in Santa Paula. The field is white already to harvest. I am thrilled to be here and continue working hard. I love being a missionary! I know that this church is true! There is absolutely no other way I would rather spend my time! I love life! Life is beautiful! 

Mom! This week has been great! So much has changed it's crazy! I'm working as a Zebra missionary currently. Which means I am doing English and Spanish work. It's great! I absolutely love it because I can talk to anyone. Although it was weird going to Sacrament meeting yesterday in English. I missed my little Spanish family in Thousand Oaks but I know that they are in good hands. 

So yes, I am driving now. It's a Ford Fusion. A 2013 or 2014 I think. It's a pretty nice car. But kinda big. It's the same car the the ZL's in my last area had. My first trainer Hermana Brown always called it the spaceship because it's so big. So I'm driving the spaceship. Haha it's fun!


Oh, perhaps you may have noticed that my hair is shorter. Yes, yes it is. Word of advise, if you ever get your haircut in California, tell them you want it longer than you actually do. Then maybe you'll get what you want. Haha don't worry, I know that hair grows, and I needed a haircut. But yeah, my hair is gone again. 

So this next picture I was trying to illustrate my profound tan line. I love that you can see my foot in this picture. It's the difference between night and day.


Yesterday at church someone asked me if I was Native-American. And then after church someone asked me if I was Hispanic because "I spoke really good Spanish" haha It's always fun to see people trying to guess what I am. I am just a tan Caucasian. Also, people love my last name Killpack. Like everyone! It's something I can't explain. Everyone always asked where my ancestors came from. That might be a good time to bring up family history and genealogy? ;)

  Oh and since I am a zebra missionary now. So English and Spanish scriptures out everyday. I am trying my best to be careful with my English scriptures. 

This is D and B.


And this is my companion Hermana Newland.


Her dad lives in Oklahoma and her mom lives in Colorado. She is so great! Really nice! And likes to run! She went to BYU-I before her mission and she loves Idaho! Which is great! She likes to work hard! 

She is so cute! I love her so much! I know this transfer is going to be great together! I will try and write a letter! I did receive your last letter mom about you going to work. I hope all is going well! I'm praying for all of you! Please have the best week every! I'm doing great just preaching in paradise! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment