Monday, June 9, 2014

"G" Was Baptized!

From the letter to the Mission President:

"This week has been one of the best weeks of my life! Words cannot describe the gratitude I feel in my heart for the many miracles I have witnessed. G's baptism was a miracle! If he is the only baptism I see on my mission I will consider my mission a complete success! 


I am so humbled to have been a part of his conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Although I cannot accept any credit. It was through the power of the Holy Ghost and the Atonement of Jesus Christ that G was able to change. I was merely an instrument in the hands of the Lord. Oh how I love being a disciple of Jesus Christ! I echo the words of your sweet wife: "This is the work of the Lord!" I have no doubt that the Lord is preparing His sons and daughters to receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the work of the Lord to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of men. I am so grateful that I can witness the power of the Lord every single day!



The greatest part about being a missionary is seeing the change that comes into a person's life when they learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I remember the first day I met G. He seemed sad, hopeless, and lost. Yesterday, the G I saw was confident, happy, smiling, radiant, sure, and loving. He was transformed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.




Although I have grown up in the church, I hope to be changed as well through the Atonement. 

This whole week was wonderful! We have been finding so many great new people to teach. On Thursday we were walking around some apartments trying to figure out where we needed to go. These particular apartments are mostly English but we knew there were some Spanish also. We weren't sure where to go but I just said let's try number 31. We went and found the number and knocked. The door opened to reveal a Spanish woman. We were able to talk with her and have a great lesson. She loves reading and was interested in reading the Book of Mormon. We are meeting again with her this Thursday. I have such a testimony of the power of the Holy Ghost. Some may say that it was a coincidence that the door we knocked was Spanish. But I know better. If we are worthy, the Holy Ghost will work through us to help us find those that are ready to listen to the gospel. I was once again humbled by this opportunity to have the Spirit of the Lord work through me. 

Yesterday we were also able to meet a woman named L. She said that she has talked to missionaries in the past. She told us that they gave her a DVD and told her that Hermana's would be coming. In that time that I have been here in Thousand Oaks, we have never received a referral to visit this apartment. I feel like we were inspired to try her apartment and I am excited to teach her. 

We were also able to teach E this week about the Word of Wisdom. I was not sure how she would receive it because I know that she drinks coffee, but she received it really well. She realized that her coffee is an addiction. She told us that she would think about some goals about how to stop and let us know. I love teaching E because she is always so willing to learn. She is humble enough to accept that she does not know everything and ask us for help. We are always excited to teach her.

Yesterday we were able to meet with A. She was not able to make it to church. We shared Alma 26:12 and testified that with God we can do all things. We talked with her about how she feels about baptism. She said that she feels more sure now. We moved her baptismal date to the 21 of June. Previously she was having trouble living the Word of Wisdom. We asked her how it was going yesterday and she said that she is living the Word of Wisdom. We are so excited for her!

I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary. I do not know how, but life just keeps getting better and better! I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring more joy than anything else in this life. When we live according to the commandments of God we will see miracles. My mission has been a miracle! I absolutely love being a missionary! I would not trade the experiences that I am having for anything in the world!"

From the letter to the Mom:

G GOT BAPTIZED YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
It really was a miracle! I'll have to write you a letter to tell you more about his conversion.
 We were SO excited! This truly is the work of the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I got your package. Thank you SO much! I loved the shirts! They are so cute! And I am wearing the fingernail polish and headband right now. Hna Brown also loves the fingernail polish! It looks great on us both, thanks! The skirt was super adorable but too small, darn. I shall have to send it back. So about the scriptures, could they not just reglue them with some special scripture glue. Scripture power? haha I would love to be able to keep my scriptures. I can send them home to be fixed maybe?

Whoa...Tyler's farewell and Weston is coming home?! Where does the time go? So Haylee was telling me that she was able to read my blog and that has helped her to decide to serve a mission! I am so excited for her. I was thinking that it would be great for lots of people to read it.  I am not really sure all that you put on there haha but I know that you are doing a wonderful job! Thanks so much! 

Oh I should let you know that we are not allowed to send or receive videos. I just learned this last week. I think it may be a new rule, darn. Amber was going to send me a video of Owen which I would have loved to see! Would you let her know that I can't receive videos but I would absolutely LOVE to see it when I get back? Thanks!

Also don't worry about me eating cereal! I really only eat it for breakfast and even then I usually have a banana or strawberries in it. Last week I had fish 2 nights in a row for dinner. We have dinner with members almost every single night. I buy fruits every single week however I could be better about buying vegetables haha. 

This week we had President's interviews! It was a little different this time around because he interviewed us as a companionship. We had a great interview with him. Something he said to me was, "When you came into the mission you were really really prepared." Coming out I did not think I was prepared. I did not have very many scriptures memorized, I could not speak Spanish, I did not know the lessons. However it really is the small and simple things that prepare us. Reading the scriptures everyday, having family and personal prayer, striving to be faithful and live the commandments of God. When we do these things we will be prepared! I have such a testimony that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. 

Thank you SO much for your love, prayers, and support! It really makes the world of difference! I love being a missionary! I love life! And I love all of you! Have the best week ever! :)

Con mucho amor! :) XOXO

Hermana Killpack

P.S. President Castro was able to make it to the baptism yesterday! It was so great! Really such a miracle!!! :)

[Note from the Mom...as per Hermana Killpack's request, we will be making her blog "unprivate" again, so be sure to stop by to read how each week just keeps getting better and better!]


No comments:

Post a Comment