Monday, June 2, 2014

Cansado vs Casado...the difference an "N" makes

Letter to the Mission President:

"This week has gone by so fast as we have seen so many miracles! We were able to have some really great lessons with our investigators. We have two investigators that are progressing towards baptism right now. We are working hard to prepare them for their scheduled dates. Our investigator G has a baptismal date of June 7th. Our investigator A has a baptismal date of June 14th.  It is so exciting to see their faith and testimony's grow. As they have come to church and have continued meeting with us I have seen a change in both of them.

We were able to teach A this week about the law of chastity. We talked about the importance of living this commandment of God and commit her to live it.  We were able to bring a member from the branch, C. C actually referred us to A. At our previous lesson with A and C we taught the Word of Wisdom. I think this was hard for A because she drinks coffee everyday. In our last lesson C brought A a substitute drink that she could have instead of coffee. It is so amazing to see the difference in our lessons when we have a member present. Members are able to build that friendship and trust with the investigator. As missionaries we will only be in an area for a time. However members will be here, much longer than we are, to be a friend and a strength to that person. 

We were also able to teach G about the law of chastity. He said that he would try to live it. We have been working with him and I think that he will live it. I have really seen a change in G since the first time we met him. It is amazing to see the change that comes into people's lives when they learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

We are teaching a young girl and her mom. D and P are so fun to teach. They have been meeting with the missionaries for a time now. P really has some great potential. It is hard for her to come to church because she does not have a car and her mother works. We have offered to find her a ride or to walk with her to church but I feel like she lacks motivation. However she reads from the Book of Mormon and she knows that it is true. I could really see P getting baptized in the future. Our last lesson with P we taught her about the For Strength of Youth pamphlet. We read about modesty with her and she really liked it. She was excited to read through the rest of the book and learn more. P likes reading scriptures and praying. She always asks if she can read a verse or say the prayer. It is so fun to teach someone who is so excited to learn more. We haven't been able to meet with D for some time because she works a lot. However we did see her yesterday and have a lesson scheduled for Wednesday. 

This week has been so fun as we have truly thought about the needs of our investigators. We taught a lesson to E on Saturday. We had planned on teaching her the 10 commandments but somehow it did not feel right. We got into our lesson and totally changed our plans. We taught her about prayer and the importance of praying together as a family. She told us that she felt weird praying with her family but that she was going to do it. I love listening to the whispering of the Spirit. He knows what our investigators need to hear. We only but instruments in the Lords hands. I love relying on the Lord and the Holy Ghost for guidance. 

I simply love serving with Hermana Brown in Thousand Oaks in this Great California Ventura Mission. We have been able to learn so much from each other. It has been so fun! I am glad that we were both able to stay in Thousand Oaks. I felt like we both needed to stay here. I am excited as I see the progression of our investigators. It really is such a joy in my life to be a part of this great work. I love every single day! I never have a bad day! I truly am so blessed and eternally grateful that I am serving a mission! I could not imagine doing anything else. I know that the Lord truly is hastening His work. I know that He is preparing He sons and daughters to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. As missionaries we just have to find those that are prepared. I love the learning and growing that I have had on my mission. I have only been out for 4 months, but they have been the best 4 months of my life. I know that this church is true. I know that Jesus Christ truly is our brother, our Savior, our Redeemer, and Friend. I know that as members of His church the most important duty that we have is to preach His gospel, and that is exactly what I will do!"

Hey mom! I did get the scripture covers thanks so much! I have yet to receive your package but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for all that you do! I definitely am a spoiled missionary!!! This week has been so great! And the time passes by so quickly! No, don't cancel my card. I don't think the lady got into my purse. I think that it should be okay. 

So crazy story for today. I got proposed to yesterday. Here is the story. We were in a lesson with a person named J. We had met with him before but he moved and we didn't know where he moved to. We were walked around some apartments yesterday when we heard something. We turned around and there he was standing outside of his door. We were excited to see him because we taught him before but then we had lost him. So we went back to go teach him. He knows the rule that we can't enter his house (apt) unless there is another woman there. So he got us chairs and we started teaching him outside his door. We were teaching our lesson when suddenly he asked me (in Spanish of course) "Are you married?" He said the word "Casado" which means married but I thought he said "Cansado" which means tired. But I wasn't sure. 
So I said "what?" 
He said "Are you married" again. 
"No." 
"You don't have a husband?" 
"No...why?" 
"Because you are beautiful!" 
"Um...thanks..." 
"I'm going to ask your parents for your hand." 
Internally in my head "WHAT?!?!?!!?!??!?!?"  I really was shocked at this point.
 Him: "How old are you?" 
Me: 19 
Him: I'm 20  
Him again: I'm going to ask your parents for your hand. 
Me: No....... 
Him: where do they live? 
Me: Idaho.  
Me again: But no. 
Him: why? 
Me: um because I am a missionary and I need to do missionary work....

It was so CRAZY! I could not believed that I just got proposed to by this 5 ft J who does not even know my first name. Hahahahaha weird!!!!!!!!!! I really did not know what to say. I have never been proposed to before. And Hermana Brown was just sitting right next to me. Oh yesterday was crazy haha! The experiences we have as missionaries!

But not to worry. I did not accept. Still a single sister missionary! Hahaha but really soooooo weird. 

Oh also, our investigator G has two sons. He told us that his 15 year old son said that I am very beautiful! Hahaha it all just makes me laugh, a lot, like really hard. Yes, being a missionary is fun!

I hope that you are enjoying California! To bad Andrew didn't come. That would have been fun. Thank you so much for your love prayers and support.  I love you all SO much and don't know what I would do with out you! 


Hermana Hardy and I! She is also so funny in her pictures. 


Oh this is another sign that you can guess that the apt is hispanic, Catholic, or both! 


 Love you all so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment