Monday, April 21, 2014

Learning That Life is Much More Important Than Hair

Part of my letter to the President:

"This week has been so wonderful! I am always amazed by the tender mercies that I am given each day.  I love working in Thousand Oaks. I have gained such a love for the people here. We are teaching an older lady named R. R has been through cancer and is now going through many chemotherapy treatments. She is so faithful and is very sweet. Teaching her has been such a humbling experience. At our last visit she was talking about how she is going to lose her hair.  She told us that she knows life is much more important than hair.  She is going through such a difficult time in her life but she still remains positive. I have not heard one negative word come out of her mouth. It makes me reflect on my own life and my own challenges. I have never had cancer like R. My own trials seem insignificant when compared to hers. I am inspired and humbled by her example and want to be more like her. I made a goal to try and not say or think anything negative at all.  As a missionary, I have so much to be grateful for. I experience a myriad of blessings everyday. I am so grateful for R and the things I am able to learn from her.

Hermana Brown and I were able so have many great lessons this week. We are currently teaching a man named I.  He is intent on learning more. He wants to make right choices so that he can be a good example for his son. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families. I feel so grateful for my own family that taught me of Jesus Christ and His teachings.  I get excited every single day to go out and share the gospel with everyone I can.

My favorite part about being a missionary is seeing the change that comes into a person's life when they learn of and follow Jesus Christ. The gospel of Jesus Christ truly changes people. It has changed me.  Last week I was able to see my companion from the MTC. I was shocked. She walked into the church building and was a completely different person. I felt such joy as I noticed how the gospel had changed her. I pray that I can become more Christ-like each day.  I pray that I can have the light of Christ shine through me.  I love everyday as a missionary!

The other day we were able to find a guy named T. We talked with him and came to find out that he had been in the Marines. He said while he was serving he went to church a lot. He feels now that his faith is weakening.  We were able to talk with him and share the first vision. The first vision is so powerful. Whenever I recite it the spirit bears testimony to me that it is true. I know that Joseph Smith was called to be a prophet of God. I know that he did see God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to be able to share what I know with the people here. Even if what we were teaching was new to T, I wanted him to know that I knew without a doubt that these things were true.

I absolutely love being a missionary! I love learning and growing! I love relying on the Lord. He truly is blessing me in ways that I did not think possible! I know this church is true!"

Wow things sound kinda crazy at home! How is Josh doing?! I want to know everything! I will pray for him. I hope that he's doing alright! The gospel truly is so amazing! I'm sorry I don't have a lot of time but I will try and write you a letter today.


Guess who I saw? Elder Cody Robinson!  
(Note from the Mom...Ashley and Cody graduated together.)


No comments:

Post a Comment