Monday, March 31, 2014

Life in the Earthquake Zone

This is part of my weekly letter to President Castro: 

"This week has been wonderful! I love the work here! I am surprised how quickly the time passes every week. This week we had some excellent lessons with some of our investigators. One of our lessons was with a woman named M. She was taught 10 years ago by the missionaries but did not remember a whole lot. We retaught the first lesson. She had excellent questions. She asked how she could know if our message was true. She asked how her life would change if she had the gospel in her life. She was really sincere.

I know the gift of tongues is real. I was able to teach M clearly and talk in a way that she could understand. It really is a humbling experience to be an instrument in the Lords hands. I know that without the Spirit I would not be able to teach. I really loved teaching M. Although it was my first time teaching her, I felt genuine love for her. I have that feeling often. I love the people here that we talk to. I remember a talk given by Thomas S. Monson in the Priesthood Session. I think it was last year or the year before. He talked about seeing others not as they are, but as they may become. It was a powerful talk. Ever since reading this talk I have tried to really focus on seeing others as Heavenly Father sees them. Not as they are, but as they may become. I also know that includes myself. When I try to see myself as I know my Father in Heaven sees me, I am astonished. I know that with Christ all things are possible. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, which strengthen me.

As a missionary I have many opportunities to become better. I try to act as Christ would. I know that I fall short a lot of the time. Through the power of the Atonement I can be better.

This week we also taught S. I have met with him several times. He knows a lot about the Bible and believes in it strongly. We have been asking him to read the Book of Mormon every time that we met with him. Our last appointment with him we asked if he had read the Book of Mormon. He had not. We decided to read with him during our lesson. The lesson went great. S agreed to read the Book of Mormon. He was so willing and asked if we had a chapter for him to read. I know that through reading the Book of Mormon that S can know that this is the true church. Again I was astonished as I was able to communicate and teach in Spanish.

This week we also had the opportunity to do some service. We were on our way to visit a referral when we saw a lady outside her house digging with a shovel. I went over to the lady and asked if we could help. She is 62 years old and said that she had arthritis in her back which made it hard to work. She told us that a neighbor had complained about her yard and that she was supposed to spruce up her front yard. She mention that she could also lose her house to a foreclosure. In all honesty she had a lot of problems both physically and mentally that I do not understand. But I was there to help her. She asked if we knew where any guys were that could help her but I assured her that I could work just as hard as any boy. I took the shovel from her and got to work digging. I was thrilled. Although I was in a skirt I was able to get some good work done. Even though this woman was not Hispanic I was so grateful for the opportunity to be able to serve her. I know I could not help her with all her problems but perhaps hopefully I could help ease her burden a little.

I truly love this missionary work. This is Christ's Church and this is His work. I am so grateful to be apart of this great mission. I know that through the Atonement of Christ we can become better each day. I am so blessed to be a missionary. Life is beautiful. The Church is true!"

I'm glad you like the Mexican candy. I thought it would be fun for you all to have a taste. It's true that I do have more time to write letters. I will try to write another to you. I loved the last letter I got from you with the paper you wrote about Gma Betty and Papa's baptism. That was so cool. I had Hermana Brown read it too. 

So I lost my camera cord. Hopefully I can find it soon. I have no idea where it is! Whoops!

Yes! I did feel the earthquake this morning. It was just before 6:30. Hma Brown and I were both saying our morning prayers. And during my prayer I felt it. The whole building shook. I thought it was an earthquake but wasn't 100% sure. I figured you'd email me about it if it was an earthquake. And it was! Haha

Yes, I am doing so wonderful! This work is amazing! I love it! I pray for you all the time also! I will try and write another letter today. Love you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment