Thursday, February 6, 2014

Another Wonderful Week at the CCM

I love this gospel and the true joy and peace it brings. This morning we went to the temple visitor center. It was great and guess who I saw? I´ll send a picture. 


Sydney says to tell Emily that she loves her. Sydney is Emily´s friend who I met a couple times in Rexburg. She is so adorable, I love her! 


One of my favorite scriptures is 3 Nephi 5:13: "Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ the Son of God, I have been called of Him to declare his word." I know this is true. The longer I´m here the more excited I get to go and serve my mission. 


When we were out of the CCM this morning it was crazy. I don´t know if there are any speed limits but they have a lot of road bumps so that you can´t drive too fast. Driving here is crazy. People here are a lot more aggressive but they can also maneuver cars better. In our bus we were only inches from another bus and we were going pretty fast. They hardly honk or get upset if someone cuts in front of them. It happens everywhere. Also there are people walking around selling things everywhere. We saw a juggler, in front of some cars. Also sometimes when cars are stop people will come up to your car and wash your windshield if you want. I think you tip or pay them. They do it so fast so that by the time it's your turn to drive your windshield is done. 

So Elder Oaks is coming for the dedication this Sunday. Everyone here is very excited. 


So its funny because I have got quite the many compliments on my oxford saddle shoes from elders! Haha they like them. 

So funny story, this whole week I have been talking up a storm in my sleep. Everyday my roommates tell me the funny things that I say. The other night I think I woke up my companion because I was talking. I said in Spanish, ¨Nosotros sabemos¨ (we know) and then in English in my sleep I said, ¨How do you say give?¨ and my companion being awake said "dar" and then I said dar in Spanish and then mumbled off talking Spanish in my sleep. All the time during the day I ask how to say something so it was really funny that I was speaking in Spanish and then in English asked my companion how to say something when I was sleeping!

This past Sunday I bore my testimony in Spanish (I read it, I could´ve said one without reading it but it would´ve been a lot simpler). I also led the music and taught district meeting with my companion.


So I love my teachers! Yesterday one of my teachers brought a cake from Walmart (yes there is a Walmart here) and some ice cream because it was an elder´s bday. I guess it´s tradition for the bday person to cut the first slice of cake and take the first bite. When they are about to take a bite you push their face into the cake. We did this and had a really fun time. I love my district. We are all learning and growing so much here.  

So there are two kinds of cereal here--chocolate rice krispies and another kind; I don´t know the name. So it is funny because one day we say a girl with FRUIT LOOPS. Not that it was really a big deal but i had never seen any fruit loops before. That´s because they are hidden in a secret place in the comedor. We once discovered them and we´ve kept the secret ever since, only telling those we can trust. Anyways for the elder's bday we made him a fruitloop necklace. We didn't have string so we used floss. I told him that when he was done eating his necklace he could use the floss. Hahaha .

The food here is pretty good; there is always some fresh fruit…watermelon or pineapple, honeydew or cataloupe. 

As of recent we had 2 spiders in our house. There were about 7 girls screaming at the top of their lungs last night. There was a big spider, maybe a hobo. I have yet to see a cockroach. I hope I never do. 

So I see that its cold in Idaho. We can see the weather on the computer desktop. Its really nice here. Today it felt really hot. Hope you're not too cold in good ole Idaho!

Oh, another funny story. Every Wednesday we get new missionaries at the CCM. They walk in to the comedor (cafeteria) to eat dinner. You can tell there are new because they are uncertain what to do. The elders in my district were kinda sitting by the entrance. When the new missionaries would walk in they would say ¨Hola¨and then talk really fast and kinda mumble, pretending that the were speaking Spanish. It was really funny, but I felt a little bad for the frazzled new people. But still kinda hilarious. 

I love the spirit here. Everyone is so nice! We always say ¨buenos dias, or buenas tardes, or noches¨ or Hola or whatever when we pass people. The Spanish people are really big on acknowledging you when you pass them unlike some Americans. Its fun. 

The tienda (store) is great. Everything is so cheap for the most part. I love buying chocolate there.

Every Sunday we get to have a devotional and watch a movie. It is so nice to be able to listen to something for a while in English. I can understand more than I can say. Its great to see and realize that I am actually progressing. 

There is a quote that I love by Thomas S. Monson that says, "I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth, are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those important things pass you by, as you plan for that elusive and non-existent future when you will have all the time to do all that you want to do; instead find joy in the journey now." I love that because sometimes its easy to wish that I was in the field already. But I focus on being happy now. In the BYUI devotional Pres Clark would say, "Welcome to another great day at BYU-Idaho."  Now I say welcome to another great day in Mexico, and is it great! I love it here. 

So they have been really trying to fix up the CCM here. The were chainsawing down dead palm tree leaves. I didn't know they did that. It has been so fun to be here and there is a lot of excitement for the dedication this Sunday. I love life and I love learning. Everyday here hasn't always been easy but I know that Heavenly Father is only preparing me to be a better instrument in His hands. 


When were were out of the CCM today I realized that hardly ever do you see a building that isn't vandalized with graffiti. The houses and buildings are so close together. There is so much advertisement everywhere and It kinda seems confusing, probably because I've never really lived in a big town before. Its common to see clothes hanging out to dry on top of houses. One sister saw some chickens on top of a house. The houses are very colorful here. It is totally a different lifestyle from most of us who live in the United States. I realize how blessed I am to have been born in the US with great parents who taught me the gospel. It's sad to see the people here who don't have this happiness for themselves.

As I was thinking about this, I felt like I wished I could help the people here. But as I thought this I just knew that my mission wasn't here and that I am supposed to help the people of California. I pray for the people in my mission that I haven't met yet. I know that I have a great work to do in California. I feel so grateful to have inspired prophets and apostles who knew exactly where to call me. The power of the gospel is real and often tangible if we are in tune.


Thank you for praying for me. Thank you for sharing your testimony to me. I know that the Lord is working miracles in our lives. It so cool to see the additional blessings that come because of missionary service. I am trying to become more Christlike through my actions words and thoughts. Its not always easy, but as a disciple of Christ I must try my best. It is humbling to wear His name. It is humbling to do his work. We practice teaching investigators and although they aren't real, I feel such love for them. This is why I desire to learn Spanish. At first I wanted to learn for me; I was selfish. But now I truly want to speak and understand the language so that I can help and bring hope to my brothers and sisters. I thought that because I was blessed with the gift of tongues that suddenly I would be able to speak Spanish. That I would just understand. Now I know that only after trying to learn the language and sincerely desiring to know Spanish for the right reason then I will be blessed. I know that I have been blessed already. I still have soooooooooooooo much to learn. It would seem impossible but I know that with the Lord all things are possible. I love Phillipians 4:13:  "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me.¨ I know this is true! I truly know that I am supposed to be on a mission at this point in my life. I am learning so much, I try to be humble, and I love serving the Lord. I am not homesick which is a blessing. I pray for you everyday and fully trust that Heavenly Father is taking care of my wonderful earthly family. I haven't gotten sick at all. I am doing so good! I get excited when I remember, Wow I really am a missionary!!! My purpose as a missionary is to invite others to come unto Christ. I know that includes myself! As I come unto Christ and strive to become like Him I know I am blessed. He said, Come unto me all ye heavy laden and I will give ye rest. At times I have been a little stressed here but when I remember this quote and come unto Christ I feel peace and happiness. I love this gospel! I love all of you! I want you to know that I am doing SO fantastic. I feel SO blessed!!!!!!! Please have a wonderful week! La vida es hermosa! La Iglesia es verdadera!
 
Sinceremente,

Hermana Killpack



No comments:

Post a Comment