(Probably written Feb. 13, 2014…received Feb. 26, 2014)
Dear Family,
I am doing so great and loving life. It's so wonderful here! Also, the weather here is pretty perfect. It's just after 9 in the morning and we are sitting outside enjoying the sun. Oh, life is great.
So let me tell you about the dedication last Sunday. Elder Oaks came and it was great. He spoke in English. There was a translator standing up on the stage right next to him translating. Elder Oaks could only say a short phrase and then he would have to pause and let the translator speak so the Latinos could understand. The translator did a very good job. He (Elder Oaks, not the translator, haha) talked a little bit about PMG (Preach My Gospel) and about teaching with the spirit. He said, "If a missionary is to teach by the spirit, a missionary must be clean and pure in every way." I really liked that. He also talked a little bit about how, with the lowered age change, we are younger and required to do more, but that we are equal to the task. He told us that we need to reach out to everyone we see, everywhere…on the streets, on the bus, in the marketplace, etc. He told us not to wait for members to fill up our schedule with contacts but to go out and find people to reach. He also mentioned that our highest aspiration is to become like our Heavenly Parents. We are servants of Jesus Christ and as such, we take upon us His name. Sorry I can't tell you a whole lot. It was all very good but my words alone couldn't do it justice. It was cool in the dedicatory prayer, he (Elder Oaks) said that everything from the walls of the MTC in were dedicated to His (Christ's) work. And that includes us as missionaries! Wow! It was awesome!
Pdays are awesome. It's fun to do laundry, clean, and write letters. I just took a break from writing and played the piano for a little bit. It was so nice!
I can't believe my time in the CCM is drawing to an end. I'm so excited. I will miss the people here.
My teachers are so amazing and patient. Their names are Hermana Balderas and Hermana Velasquez. I love them both. One service project we did was to distribute bottles of water (water jugs). They have a well here but even so, we only drink bottled water. We got to stand in a truck (the back of the truck) while it was driving. It would stop where we needed to drop off water and we'd jump out and carry the water jugs where they needed to go. It was really fun. Service is always really fun here because it gives us something different to do.
So the latest on my sleep talking…one of the hermanas heard me say "Yo quiero," which means "I want." Haha.
So I've noticed a lot when people answer the phone they say "Bueno. Not really sure why; it must be a greeting or something.
So by the time you get this I could be in California, miles away from Mexico. Holy cow, Mexico City really is huge! For a small town girl, it's quite the sight. Haha, they have a Sears here, a Walmart, a Sam's Club, a McDonalds, and I'm sure much more. There were some signs that looked like road signs pointing you in the direction to find the Walmart and Sam's Club. It's pretty funny.
It's common when we greet our teachers or other women that we give them a hug and a kiss. I've got the hug down but I'm still working on the kiss on the cheek. Sometimes it's a real kiss and sometimes it's like putting your cheeks next to each other and making a kissing sound, I think. Anyways, I find it kinda weird; I don't know how to kiss them on the cheek so I just try to do the cheek to cheek thing, which I don't really understand. I don't know if anything I said made any sense, sorry. The men usually shake hands and then give each other a bro hug. Haha, they pat each other on the back with their other hand they're not using to shake hands. Once again, I don't know if that makes sense. Lo siento.
Being a missionary teaches a lot of great skills for life. We plan out our days (well, they are pretty much planned out for us here). We have things planned from about 6:30 to about 9:30-10:00. We are supposed to be in bed by 10:30 which is never a problem for me. After a full, busy day, I am tired. Waking up at 6:30 really isn't bad either. I think I've gotten used to it so that's good.
Our Branch President and his wife are amazing, the Christensens. They're from Utah, I think. Every so often Hermana Christensen makes us homemade cookies which are so good. And guess what? The Christensens are Hermana Huff's great aunt and uncle. She must be related to everybody.
The trees here are beautiful. I wish I had the skills to climb a palm tree, but I'm pretty sure that's against some rules and it would not be dignified in a skirt. That is the truth. It's fun seeing the palm trees and there's also a pretty tree with purple flowers. Some of them have already bloomed and they are so pretty.
Haha, so we were walking home when a Hispanic man came up to us and was like, "Como se dice 'falda'?" And we say, "Skirt." Hermana Huff spelled it for him and then he said, "Your skirts are very nice, cute." Haha, they are trying to learn English just like we are trying to learn Spanish. I love when they ask me questions about English because that is something I can help them with.
We finally got some Latinas in our casa. That means we don't have an extra 2 rooms to get ready and shower in. Haha, now we can work out our showering schedule, which is good because in a mission or life it's important to be able to work together and make compromises.
We all share things. I've worn my roommates jewelry or some clothers. Right now my roommate is using my mirror and tweezers. Or my companion will use my hairdryer. I love how close we all have become (Hermana Huff, Hooper, Ellingson and I). They are all wonderful and I love them.
Hermana Hooper is from Arizona and she is going to San Fernando, California. We are all 19 except for Hermana Huff. She's 21.
So as for shoes, I really like the born flats, the ones we got at the mall. They are pretty comfortable and cute.
We sleep on bunkbeds, but the only time I hit my head was the first night. It happened only twice and so far I've been good about remembering not to sit up in bed.
I know that there is a ton for me to learn about the Spanish language and about the gospel. I hear that learning really takes off in the mission field so that's what I'm counting on. I'm learning here but I just wish I knew more.
So I have bruises on my knees. I"m not sure if it's because I cross my legs a lot because I'm in my skirt, or because I kneel down on the ground and say a lot of prayers. Maybe both, but esta bien.
I have loved seeing another culture and experiencing new things. I feel so blessed to be a missionary. I can't believe that I only have one more P-day here…it's crazy!
I guess the CCM is close to the airport because I see planes flying in and out all the time.
That's cool, Mom, on how you wanted to see my plane as I left Idaho Falls. We didn't leave for a little bit because they were washing off the plane or runway with something for some reason. We were probably just delayed a little bit so that you could see my plane. Heavenly Father blesses us with tender mercies everyday.
I am so excited to serve a mission because I know that it will bless my family's life. And that's what is more important to me…all of you. And I know it will bless the lives of these I teach. I can't explain my excitement. I know I say it again and again, but I love this gospel and I love life. La vida es hermosa. La iglesia es verdadera!
Love Siempre,
Hermana Killpack
P. S. One of the hermanas said, "Through the atonement, we can be free of fish." Pescado=fish; Pecado=sin
And from the outside of the envelope:
P.S. I just saw a cockroach for the first time! It was dead in our casa. Ewwww! Now I know why I wasn't called to serve in Mexico. I hope to never see one again, but we'll see how likely that is…haha
No comments:
Post a Comment