From the letter to the mission president:
"This week has been so wonderful! We have seen so many miracles! Yesterday we were on our way to church when we saw a man walking with his wife and son. We passed them only to realize that it was one of our investigators. We have only met with him once before. I don't believe that he has a car. I was touched to see his desire to attend church. A lot of time people will come up with a whole list of excuses why they cannot come to church. However, I know, if they truly have a desire they will find a way to come. That is what our investigator did. His son is three years old and demands a lot of attention. We sat by them during sacrament meeting. We tried to entertain their son so that they could listen to the talks. He was full of energy, jumping up and down, climbing on the sacrament pews, and everything in between. I know that at times they felt a little embarrassed trying to calm their child, but I hope that they were able to feel of the love and spirit at church. I think they did. They said they are planning on coming next Sunday.
We also have been working with our investigator G1. He has a desire to learn more and change his life. It has been so great meeting with him because he is so humble. He wants something better out of life. We are helping him to find it. He has a baptismal date of June 7th and we hope that all works out so that he can be baptized on this day.
Another miracle happened this week. We have an investigator named D. Every time that we have gone to teach him he has not read the Book of Mormon. We talked about the importance of it again and again. We promised blessings, bore testimony, and read with him from the Book of Mormon. Still, he did not read. He gave us excuses saying that he is also so busy with work and never has any time to read. I showed him that I truly was devastated that he had not read the Book of Mormon. Then I thought of an idea to get him to read. I told him that everyday we would stop by his apartment and put a sticky note on his door. On the note we would write down one verse, giving him the page number and reference. After trying this experiment we went back for our following appointment with D. Not only had he read the verse but he had read the entire chapter. What a miracle from someone who had never read the Book of Mormon at all.
People will never accept big commitments if they are not willing to do the small and simple things. That is why it is important to start out simple and then build up.
We also the had opportunity to meet with a very sweet lady R. She has cancer and has now lost her hair. She is recovering but the chemotherapy treatments are so very hard on her. She has absolutely no strength but she still smiles and puts her faith and trust in God. She truly is an example to me and everyone that knows her. I want to be able to develop the faith that she has. She is always positive. In her thoughts, actions, and words, she is always positive. It is a privilege to be able to share some time with her and bring her the peace of comfort that comes with the message of the gospel.
We also had a very great lesson with our investigator named G2. We taught him about the 10 commandments, about the Book of Mormon, and about the Plan of Salvation all in one lesson. It was a lot of material but we were able to explain it clearly to him. We also stressed the importance of repentance. I felt prompted by the spirit to testify to him that there is nothing that we have done that we cannot be forgiven off. He really liked hearing that. It was so amazing to be teaching G2, and actually at the same time, to be taught by the Spirit. I know when we teach by the Spirit the learner and the teacher are both edified.
I am so grateful for my time here in Thousand Oaks. I truly have developed a love for the people here. I love being a missionary! I love sharing the happiness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that Christ died for us, but also that He lives for us. I am eternally grateful for the choice I made to serve a mission. I love every moment of it. I know that this work is so important. Life is beautiful! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true!"
It was so great talking to you! The time passed by way too quickly! Yes, I measure my scriptures and those were the dimensions. If I could get two cases, one for my bom and one for my bible that would be great. My scriptures are leather bound. Also my English quad is breaking. Like the binding is coming off the pages. Maybe I just need some really good super glue? So the tan shirt I was talking about has the brand bella bird not sure where you got that. Oh I was thinking maybe some lifesaver mints. I probably like those better than mentos but I love both of them.
Haha do you want to learn the gospel?! Good one. Maybe I need that picture ;)
The picture at the temple is really embarrassing... I never got a good one. My companion did though. I need it. The poor elder that took this one said, "Um... I think we need to take another one" I did not know that my skirt had done this until I saw the picture. Haha sorry Elder.
I hope that you all have a wonderful week! It was truly wonderful to talk to all of you! I hope and pray all is well. Also please send me Amber's address I have been meaning to send a belated Bday card.
Love you all lots and lots!
Con Amor,
Tu Hermana favorita!
Hermana Killpack :)
Also one more thing, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I love you so much! I wish I could be with you to celebrate!!!!!!! No one will believe that you are turning 50! Thank you so much for being the best mom in the world! You really are! Hopefully you will get my card today. Don't worry! I did not forget your birthday! If you'd ask Hermana Brown she would tell you that I have been talking about you a lot! Thank you so much for all your love and support! I truly hope today is the BEST day ever!
You don't know how much I love you! :) Happy Birthday MOM! :)
You. Are. My. Hero. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment