Note from Ashley's Mom: Ashley has planned on serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints her entire life, so when the mission age was lowered to 19 for young women, she was thrilled with the new opportunities and possibilities. Ashley submitted her mission papers just about as soon as she could, and she was thrilled when that large white envelope came from Salt Lake City.
She was even more excited to read that she had been called to serve in the California Ventura Mission, speaking Spanish, and that she would learn it at the Mexico City MTC, or CCM as it is called in the Spanish language.
January 15, 2014
Ashley flew to Mexico City. It was a whirlwind day, and she sent us this brief email to tell us she had arrived safely:
I have had quite the adventure already! And the keyboards are weird! So guess what?! I gave away my Spanish Book of Mormon to a man on the plane ride to Mexico. I sat by him and his daughter. I played dolls with his daughter for like 3 hours, no joke. We even acted out most of the movie Frozen.
Hopefully I can send pictures next week. I´ve been trying to take a lot. Seriously this keyboard is really weird, sorry! Haha sorry! I´m wearing my mission tag! YES! And the CCM is gorgeous! We haven´t had dinner yet but that´s next on the agenda. We´ll see how the food is.
It was funny because we got to the CCM, someone was like "Oh missionaries!" And then we all remember... "Oh yeah, WE are missionaries!" It´s so cool.
Flying was crazy! The airports were so huge I cound not believe it. It really is a miracle that I am here! You should´ve seen me speed walking on those things that are basically flat escalators. I´m sure they have a name; I´m just not sure what.
Well, I need to go do some others things but I am very excited and blessed to be here. I got here safe and sound. I love you all and pray for you. Have the best week ever!!!!!
Love, Hermana Killpack



Ola, Hermana Killpack,
ReplyDeleteOkay, that's all the Spanish I can remember now. I'll be so excited to hear about how you're getting along. I know you will be a great missionary and will enjoy getting to know the big city of Ventura.
I love you,
G'ma Betty